Friday, September 3, 2010

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

Since I've started this blog, a stretch of more than 7 days when the KitchenAid sits lonely and unused has led to baking withdrawal. Not mine, mind you. Rather, my husband's.

Chocolate overload
A cookie fiend and chocoholic, Jay has been spoiled by my latest obsession with this blog. So when he turned to me a few nights ago and out-and-out asked for me to make him cookies, to finally break open the bag of chocolate chips in the fridge that had been mocking him, I couldn't say no. I was his dealer and he needed a hit -- bad.

Feeling guilty, I swung for the fences and sought out a quick chocolate chocolate chip cookie recipe. This time I went to my old standby, Food Network, for help. We were not disappointed. The cookies were an intense dose of chocolate, though they were a little crispy for my taste.

But, really, all that mattered was that Jay got his fix. I think I just officially became an enabler.

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
(adapted from Cathy Lowe's recipe on foodnetwork.com)

2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups chocolate chips, 2 Hershey's chocolate bars, chopped or M&M'S (I went with standard chocolate chips)
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional -- I left them out)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl stir together flour, salt, and baking soda. In another large bowl stir together butter, both sugars, eggs, vanilla and cocoa. Gradually stir flour mixture into butter mixture and mix until combined. Stir chocolate chips and walnuts, if using, and stir to distribute evenly.

For cookies: Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets and bake about 10 minutes. Cool on a baking rack.

(Recipe also has instructions for bars. Check it out here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment