Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Double-Edged Sword (Double Dark Dump Cake)

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this blogging thing is not easy. Thinking of things to say, finding recipes to share, and all the while trying to be mildly entertaining, these are not easy tasks.

The baking -- and the enjoying the fruits of my labor -- is equally tough. Sure most things are tasty (must be beginner's luck). In fact, they are pretty hard to resist these days. That, in and of itself, is particularly hard for me, a Weight Watcher's success story. For the 4+ years since I started my first stint, I've kept off more than 20 pounds. But with all these yummy concoctions, my well-trained defenses are weakening.

Double Not-So-Dark Dump Cake
So, when I feel like I'm teetering on the edge, I like to take a tried-and-true recipe and lighten it up a bit. My most successful attempt has been with one of my mom's classics, the Double Dark Dump Cake (so named because you just dump all the ingredients into a bowl). Made by the book, this cake is dark, rich, moist, and all around chocolate goodness. But, it also has plenty of potential as a somewhat lighter version of itself. Even with my substitutions, the cake was a crowd-pleaser at our Yom Kippur break fast.

Double Dark Dump Cake
(feel free to make the original or the lighter version -- they are both great!)

1 box devil's food cake (I used Pillsbury sugar-free mix)
1 package chocolate instant pudding (I used sugar-free fat-free chocolate, though sugar-free fat-free chocolate fudge is also a good choice)
1/2 cup oil (I subbed applesauce for half the oil. When subbing applesauce for fat, which is a great sub, never replace more than half the fat or it just gets sticky from the sugar in the applesauce)
1 cup sour cream (I used fat free, but you can also use fat free greek yogurt)
1/2 cup warm water
4 eggs
1 small package of chocolate chips

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and pour into a greased bundt pan. Bake at 350ยบ for 40-60 mins, depending on your oven. Cool in pan until you can handle it; turn out and cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar immediately before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment