Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Baker Hits the Mill City

Recently I had the rare opportunity to join Jay at one of his many conferences. This time his meeting was in Minneapolis, MN, which is also conveniently the new home of one of my best friends, Jenny, and her family. So while Jay sat in sessions all day, I went to play with Jenny and her almost 3-year-old, Noah.

Jenny is always a great hostess, so she planned some really fun things for us to do. We spent one morning at the Mill City Museum, a tribute to the flour factories that used to be the city's main industry. I didn't know this before my trip, but Minneapolis used to the flour capital of the world -- perfect for the baker in me. It was cool to see how the mill operated, and I really loved the exhibits paying homage to Betty Crocker, Pillsbury and the like! Noah, on the other hand, could have spent all day with the trains and trucks. Boys...

Baking with Noah
In truth, Noah himself is a great baker. In fact, Jenny suggested that instead of bringing him a gift (I make it a practice never to go see a small kid without a trinket in hand) I bring with me something for us to bake together. What a great idea! I loaded up my suitcase with all you need for yummy Funfetti cupcakes (shout out to my Drachler buddies! Funfetti is a key to grad school survival), and Noah was a super helper. We had so much fun making them -- and eating them -- together.

In the midst of all the zaniness that has been our lives lately, it was so wonderful to spend time with close friends. Thank you Jenny, Jon & Noah for a fun weekend! Please come to Boston soon so we can host you.

No comments:

Post a Comment